Dragonfodder Jewellery

Dragonfodder Jewellery

Monday, May 16, 2011

AND THE WHEELS COME OFF - 2

These are a few necklaces made over the last while, though not since the wheels came off. The pendants used in the first three necklaces are handcrafted glass pendants from Martini Art & Design. Fossilised sea weed is inserted in this pendant, hence the addition of coral and stick pearls. also included are glass chips and Blood Stone.        To carry on where I left off. I had a really stressful morning on the 29th of April. Our gardener, Jimmy Ngobeni, was working with the leaf blower and somehow got his index finger involved with the blade. The first I knew about it, was when Jimmy appeared on the patio desperately calling me and holding up his finger. In those first few seconds of deciding what to do, I'm sure I spun around in circles. The only thing I could think of was to run the finger under cold water. I then gave Jimmy warm sugar water, washed the finger in more cold water with antiseptic and took him off to casualty. This all with Liam in tow as Joce was working. I 'm sure the morning at the hospital aged me. Fortunately, Jimmy only has soft tissue damage and has been booked off work for two weeks while his finger heals.

This pendant is red glass with a yellow speckle. It lent itself to the use of the brassed African mask and the Indian glass beads. The brassed chain was added for good measure as well as some African trade beads. This last month, Joce spent most of her time, when she wasn't at work, at the hospital with Simon. I have been caring for Liam from first thing in the morning, till his bedtime. I now realise why we don't have babies in our fifties. I can't believe I looked after to "smallies", did all my own housework and gardened as well as sew, knit etc. I must have been super woman in my twenties.

This necklace is symmetrical, something I now rarely do. Aside from the glass pendant, I used found buttons, faceted smokey Checz glass beads, Miyuki Rocaille seed beads, brass beads, brassed links and chain. Simon came home yesterday. He looks like he has come back from a war. He weighs a mere 68 kilos and has that pale haunted look about him. He stayed up most of yesterday, albeit prone on the sofa for quite a while. Today he doesn't look any better but mentally he seems more stable. He has had an incredibly tough time. I'm not sure whether, if I was diagnosed with cancer, I'd have the courage to undergo the treatment. I watched my Dad suffer through it, and now Simon. Rich was diagnosed with prostrate cancer three years ago and bravely underwent the major surgery. Fortunately, Rich did not have to have any other treatment and is still clear.
I loved this pendant and wanted the necklace to look kind of as if it came from India. It's not quite what I envisioned but I don't have the heart to take it apart and start again. It's a real mix of glass beads, bead caps and spacers. Green it seems, is very in for winter in SA, so perhaps it'll get bought or I'll get more wear out of it. Rich went back to work today with a heavy heart. Rich has been put on early retirement, his last working day being the 31st of July 2011. When we first heard the rumblings about retrenchments and early retirement, we were both a bit nervous. But with my retiring in May 2010, we've realised we can cope with less income and our quality of life has been better. We've done our sums and we will be fine. Rich is going to take some time out, then get into a business he has researched. He just wants something to bring in a little extra and also to keep him busy. I of course muddle on enjoying everyday of being retired.
Where the blog gets written
Joce has been staying with us while Simon has been in hospital. They are going to stay with us until Simon gets stronger. He has been booked off work till the 31st of May. Liam has been sleeping in the guest room with Joce, but with Simon home it's going to be easier if Liam is in his own room. So his going to be in my studio for now. I need to go and do some tidying up so we can get the cot in comfortably. Liam slept in his cot in our bedroom last night. I feel like I haven't slept a wink. So I must go and get that organised now.... More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment